Notice my shirt says, “Talk is Cheap.” So let’s get moving with a starter pack of introductory tips:
- If you need a fuck ton of motivation just to drag yourself through the door, maybe you aren’t ready to start. Or you need a different game plan.
- Always have extra gym clothes/shoes stowed away somewhere. The same goes for hair ties, chapstick, towels, or anything else that would make you turn around and go home without doing anything.
- Schedule an extra day/time to workout. If you miss a workout, you’ve still budgeted the time. If you consistently miss and use the “extra” day, cool. It’s become one of your standard days and you need to designate a new back up.
- Have makeup or sweat wipes ready. No sense being that stinky if you have to meet people last minute (I also have dry shampoo).
- Don’t push your workout until after you meet up with people. You will not come back.
- Learn five exercises. Do those five exercises. Hopefully you picks moves you enjoy! Write down how many times and at what weights you can do those exercises. Repeat 3/week for 3 weeks. Report any discomfort. Have someone look at those set/reps/times and advise you. Repeat.
- Don’t become overwhelmed by information. Internet groups can be great for support, but everyone’s got opinions. Keep your meaningful circle tight.
- Don’t put off asking for help. Using equipment, handling injuries, programming…everyone was a beginner. Most people still are. (tip: In the gym, the people most willing to help for free are also the most knowledgeable…except for the peeps just creepin’).
- YOU DON’T NEED A TUB OF SUPPLEMENTS or A NEW WORKOUT WARDROBE.
- Just start. Make yourself as prepared and as comfortable as possible — but just start.
If you have any questions about these, please reach out at email@example.com.